April 01, 2006

Oysters: the Breakfast of Champions

Family friends are getting married on my family's farm in the Cape Winelands this weekend. I sadly won't be there, but it got me thinking about the last large celebration we held on the farm. My father turned sixty last December, and family and friends descended from all over the world to celebrate. Good company, funny speeches and delicious food, all on a glorious Cape summer day.


But my favourite memory is from the morning after, when I woke to find my father and the farm manager in the kitchen, finishing off the last of the oysters. My presence was greeted with a fork, so I sat down and joined them, leaning sociably over a tray of naked, shucked bivalves.

Oysters from the small, tough Namibian mining town of Luderitz are anything but small and tough themselves; particularly tender and almost creamy in texture, a Luderitz oyster is a joy to behold, and heavenly to eat, cold, with a squeeze of lemon and some freshly ground black pepper. And probably the best breakfast I’ve ever had.

Categories: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

I forgot to address the Sa vs Aus question and reval that I was born a pom and occasionally claim to be Welsh. The best oysters here are from the cold southern ocean; the worst from the warm north. I suspecct ours are pretty similar and in my mind the cold Tasmanians are the best or from the north sea. Now on that other question. How the cricket going?

Monday, 03 April, 2006  
Blogger Gooseberry said...

Well, if sea water temp is the deciding factor, then SA and Namibia should have some of the best oysters in the world!

As for the cricket, tomorrow will tell. Right now, local newspapers are saying "a flurry of wickets lifted South Africa's hopes of avoiding the first whitewash series defeat on their own soil since the 19th century". Doesn't sound promising!

Have a couple oysters for me, down under...

Monday, 03 April, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL looking farm! The people who live there are SO lucky... I must admit that oysters taste slimy and salty to me-neither sensation is appealing! But, with a dollop of well-made bechamel sauce I could be tempted... I know that Gooseberry will frown upon disguising the oyster's natural flavour this way but it is better to partake in eating with alterations than not to partake at all!

Saturday, 15 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home